Have you ever walked into a tanning salon, and felt like you just wanted the person working to pick out a lotion for you because there were SO many to choose from? Why do they ALL claim to be the BEST bronzer, yet range in price from $30-$150? (Yes I said $150). WELL, my loyal blog readers….then this is for YOU.
First & Foremost: What is the purpose of tanning lotion?
- It Moistures our Dehydrated Alaskan Skin: Using a tanning lotion simply replaces the moisture that your skin loses while tanning. Can’t have a healthy glow with cracked flaky skin!!
- Tan Faster: Tanning lotions contain ingredients that enable your skin to absorb more of the UV rays. You know what that means, deeper tan in less time!
- Slows Aging: Some lotions contain ingredients that are skin firming, and contain vitamins then help prevent premature signs of aging. (Keep reading for more information on that).
Oompa loompa doompety doo….?
This is the Million $$$ Question: Which Lotion will make me tan quickly, but not make me orange:
There are many more option but I’m just going to go over a few.
Types Of Lotions
You may know of this because of Self Tanners, but it is also used in tanning lotions. It contains, you guessed it….DHA….or Dihydroxyacetone. Google has a much more thorough definition of what this is, but for the sake of keeping your attention, I’ll keep it short. DHA is a carbohydrate that, when applied, results in a chemical reaction between the DHA and your skin proteins. This reaction can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and the intensity is dependent on the concentration of the DHA.
Designer Skin 14 Karat Gold Rush is one of my favorite lotions for a couple of reasons:
- If you are familiar to tanning, you know Designer Skin also comes with Designer Prices….yipee right? No.. However, this particular lotion has a great price point and still contains the ingredients that make Designer Skin so great!
- This particular bottle contains Hyaluronic Acid, which I know you read our blog about ;)….but incase you didn’t, to summarize, Hyaluronic acid holds 1,000 X it’s weight in water. Which means, this product is basically a little bottle of anti-aging miracles. Not really…but it does mean it promotes collagen production and decreases the appearance of fine lines.
- It has Omega-3’s!!!!! If you don’t know what Omega-3’s do, you should do some research because they are fantastic, but essentially it will leave your skin smooth and radiant.
These are bronzers made with ingredients that are naturally bronzing…that is the simplest way I can put it. They provide immediate results without streaking or staining. What are natural bronzing ingredients you ask? Things like Henna, Fig, naturally derived caramel…..etc.
Hempz is one our most popularly purchased Natural Bronzer:
- It’s Paraben Free, Gluten Free, 100% Vegan, Sustainable and contains Organic Ingredients.
- Because it is natural, it is streak free!!
- It contains Botanicals and oils that are great for your skin and will promote a healthy glow.
2. TINGLE LOTIONS
These lotions are NOT for first time tanners, trust me, I tried. Tingle lotions contain an active ingredient that, simply put, increases blood flow and brings oxygen to the cells of your skin. This process boosts your tanning results. When using these products, you will feel a tingling sensation, which makes sense if you think about it :)….and a warming/ reddening on the surface of your skin. We recommend that you sample it on a small patch of skin before using it everywhere, simply because it can cause a reaction if you have sensitive skin. If you have never used these lotions before, you are in for a real treat. 🙂 Pretty Pink & Blushing is my favorite tingle lotion, because the results are well worth the tingle!
3. ACCELERATOR & MAXIMIZER LOTIONS
These types of lotions are great for new tanners who are trying to build a “base.” These types of lotions don’t typically have bronzers in them, but rather an ingredient called Tyrosine. Tyrosine is an amino acid that helps the production of Melanin in the skin. Melanin is what gives you the appearance of being “Tan.” JWOWW, yes people still use this, is an example of an excellent maximizer, that is also tattoo safe, which is something to take into consideration if you have tattoos!
I know I know, I mentioned a free gift….Here it goes: If you COMMENT on this Blog Post (In the blog) what DHA stands for, and share the blog post on facebook, we will give you 5 free tans! You heard it…5 free tans <3 Follow the rules though, you must comment below what DHA is, and share the link on facebook. READY…..SET…..GOOOOOOOO.
Just kidding…there’s more….
There is a lot more to tanning lotions than that, but hopefully this made your tanning lotion shopping a little bit easier. I realize that walking into a tanning salon, is a lot like my husband walking into Sephora, HOWEVER, knowing the basics will help you make a more educated decision, and possibly save you some money. Some lotions are worth spending more money on, but knowing the ingredients that you are putting on your skin will help you make a more informed decision.
Ahh acids… It’s been a while! We’re back with part 2 of the series, focusing on glycolic acid (GA for short). Glycolic is one of the five alpha hydroxyacids (AHAs, we’ll get to the rest of them another day). GA is naturally found in sugar cane, but I’m about 99.99% sure eating sugar doesn’t benefit you, unfortunately.
It plays well with hyaluronic acid (see Part 1 for more info on that bad boy). GA enhances the moisture retention of hyaluronic acid, which also means it can send a memo to your skin to naturally raise its moisture levels.
GA can be beneficial to those dealing with acne, but it is most commonly used in anti-aging products due to its association with smoother, softer, younger looking skin. It’s moisturizing and exfoliating abilities are capable of reducing the appearance of age spots, as well as fine lines and wrinkles.
Its small molecule size, the smallest of the AHAs, lends itself to increased penetration into the skin. GA does an excellent job of sloughing dead skin cells – it’s an active ingredient in Le Mieux’s Exfoliating Cleansing Gel, which we carry here!
Have a chat with Kelsie or Alexis to see if glycolic acid would be a good addition to your skincare routine 🙂
Oh winter… As I told my husband yesterday, “I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.”. I cannot stand the cold, wind, and darkness. It definitely affects me and if I didn’t take some proactive steps, I would be one bummed out hermit for about six months of the year. I am most certainly not alone in this issue; I’m going to give you some ideas of strategies to help make the next few months more tolerable, and I’d love to hear what you do to help yourself!
Remember the timeless statement made by Elle Woods in Legally Blonde – “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands!”? Ahh yes, that was a good one. She was right though, exercise can have a huge impact on your mood. The benefits definitely go way beyond changing your body. A workout can actually increase your energy, get those happy hormones flowing, and improve your sense of well-being. Not a regular gym-goer? No worries, feel free to use the terms “exercise” and “workout” loosely. Go snowboarding, snowshoeing, play outside in the miniscule amount of snow with your kids! Just get some blood pumping for 20-30 minutes and it can make a world of difference.
I know that there’s a more technical term for it, but I call it my happy light. You can sorta trick your brain into thinking you’re basking in the sun by sitting in front of one of these for even just 20 minutes a day. A lot of people go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, and could literally hardly see the light of day for days on end. I don’t know about you, but I didn’t sign up to be a vampire; I need a little light in my life! There are actually light therapy boxes to use for this sort of thing – a regular lamp isn’t going to do the trick. I have a relatively small one that just sits on my desk in my home office that I just turn on while I’m in there working. It doesn’t have to a be a complicated addition, just fit it in somewhere in your normal routine.
Vitamin D is hard to find in our every day diets, and we’re not getting much if any from the sun during the darkest days of winter, so it’s generally a good idea to supplement it somehow. According to the U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements:
“It has been suggested by some vitamin D researchers, for example, that approximately 5–30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2%–6% UVB radiation is also effective.”
You can also take a supplement that contains Vitamin D & calcium – they work together to keep your bones strong & prevent osteoporosis, which everyone can appreciate.
The bulbs in our tanning bed here have 6.5% UVB rays, so you may consider using it if you’re looking for a little warmth and “sunshine”. Tanning bulbs are not all created equal – they have various percentages of UVA and UVB rays, so if you’re going to tan it would be wise to do a little research on what the bed of your choice uses.
Just remember, solstice has passed, we’re over the hump and spring is right around the corner!!
Does anyone else do their best thinking at midnight? I honestly feel like my best thoughts and ideas always come when my exhausted brain is finally about to rest. Of course, the ideas aren’t merely ideas that can wait for later, they are urgent and need dealt with now, I mean RIGHT now. So here we are…at midnight..on a work night..ranting about a thought. Don’t worry though, I will keep this short and sweet.
I recently have a had a few projects I have wanted to pursue, and just haven’t yet because the timing hasn’t been right or yada yada yada yada. While laying in bed this thought came to my mind…“Just Jump.” I typically feel like this isn’t something that has ever been hard for me, because I love change and stress and new projects so quite frankly I don’t know what my problem today is. HOWEVER, this got me thinking about conversations I have with people on a daily basis from friends, family, etc…and it’s a thought that makes me sad, so I hope I can help someone by this blog post.
Just Jump! Sometimes jumping into something unknown is exceptionally terrifying and has a risk. To be honest, I think that is why so many people don’t take risks, and don’t pursue what they love…at the end of the day it’s scary! But isn’t it more scary to look back and wish you would have? Every time I have “Jumped” in life, I have NEVER regretted it. In fact, I have grown to crave the feeling of the jump. Then there is the failure card, which opens up an entirely new can of worms.
What is failure truly, because honestly I hate that word. Example….say you jump, you take a risk and it doesn’t work out. So many people see that as a failure and beat themselves up over it. THAT IS NOT FAILURE! That simply means that you have to take a different route to get there. For example, say you are driving to friends house. You have never been there before and you take a wrong turn….would sit in your car and feel like a failure, and just go back home? No!! (If you would, come talk to me) So why is that the mindset that we have with taking risks.
My goal for 2018 is to take more risks, put myself out there and pursue the things I want to purse 110%. My passion to grow, and passion to succeed is FAR greater than my fear of making the jump. I hope that somehow this encourages someone else to do the same.
New year, new you? I am not really a resolution maker, but so many people are we decided to come up with a few ideas to get you off to a great start in the new year.
Here are some pretty standard resolutions and some suggestions on how to keep them!
“I’m going to lose weight/go on a diet/go to the gym!”
This is probably the numero uno resolution made every year. I would advise that if this is your goal you shouldn’t be waiting till the new year to do it, just make it happen, but since my opinion doesn’t really matter 😛 check out these options:
- Midnight Sun Athletic Club – just moved into a new location on the PW highway. 24 hour access and conveniently located between Palmer & Wasilla with fun, friendly people! https://www.themidnightsunathleticclub.com/
- Denali Crossfit – they are starting a Whole 30 challenge in January which will help you stay on track with your diet and it’s a crossfit gym for all shapes, sizes, and abilities! You must register for the challenge by Dec. 29th, so check it out! http://www.denalicrossfit.com/
“I’m going to stop procrastinating and be more organized!”
Procrastinator extraordinaire over here! In all fairness, I work extremely well under pressure… Even so, procrastination is a bad habit and unless you’re my mother you could probably use a little help in the organization department also.
- I have an actual, physical planner that I write my schedule and to-do lists in. Well really I have two, one for Revive and one for personal/my business. I use Passion Planners – they have space for goal setting/tracking, an awesome daily layout, graph paper in the back that I use to track our budget at home and a section of blank paper that I use for notes/ideas/random stuff I need to remember. http://www.passionplanner.com/
- If you have a goal that you think you might need a little extra push to accomplish, check out http://www.stickk.com/ This website lets you basically bet on yourself. You define your goal, choose your stakes, pick a referee to monitor your progress, you can add friends to support you. For example, “I’ll work out 3 days a week every week for a year and if I don’t I’ll have to give $500 to the International Clown College.” You’ll want to pick something that you really don’t want to give any money to to help keep you extra motivated to accomplish your goal. The monetary bet is optional, but they say those that do it are three times more likely to succeed.
“Less TV, more reading.”
Reading is the best! I love it so <3 If you’re stumped I have about a bagillion books at home I can recommend, so feel free to ask.
- Check out https://www.goodreads.com/ There’s an app too. You can enter books you’ve already read that you liked and it will give you recommendations based on them! Super cool!
- The Wasilla Public Library is an excellent hang out. It’s beautiful and quiet. They have fireplace with a bunch of chairs and couches so you can just relax and read. It’s delightful.
“I’m going to get out of debt/save more money.”
Have you ever looked at your bank account and thought “Huh. I wonder where all that money went…”? Once upon a time that was a frequent thought in my noggin. Bills were paid, cool stuff was bought, but those student loan balances sure weren’t getting much smaller.
- My husband and I are both very much “I want it now.” people, but we started following the Dave Ramsey budgeting system (ish) in August and it’s amazing how much money we’ve “found”. We’re not “gazelle intense” as Dave likes to say, but simply having a written budget each month has helped immensely. I read The Total Money Makeover, but you can also find a bunch of info on his website https://www.daveramsey.com/ There are of course a ton of other budgeting systems and tools that could work for you, this one has just been personally beneficial.
- Consider getting a side job or turning a hobby into a business. Revive is my “side job” and I love it because my main source of income is a home based business, but working at Revive guarantees that I’ll leave the house 3 days a week hahaha 😛 Check out Craigslist https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ for some odd jobs or look through Etsy https://www.etsy.com/ to find some inspiration for some home made creations you could sell!
There are 101+ other resolution ideas I’m sure, but this should get you started! Let us know what yours are in the comments 🙂