Mermaids have more fun! It’s true!
It’s that time again! The Seward Mermaid Festival is right around the corner and we are here to make sure you are 100% prepared. This was Holly’s idea, so be sure to thank her when you see her. 🙂
Make sure you read to the end to find out the Festival schedule.
Becoming a mermaid is no easy feat. Don’t worry though, we have compiled a “how-to” that will cover everything you need to know.
Grab your glitter, glue & friends and let’s get started!
Step 1: Shopping
“I woke up like this,” does not apply to mermaids. It requires some preparation: Here are the things you will need:
- Fun eye shadow colors – we prefer purples, pinks & teals, but choose your favorite colors! (A combination of matte & shimmer is best!)
- Bright white makeup base – Cream
- Fishnet tights that you don’t mind ruining
- Glitter – all of the Glitter – both cosmetic & craft glitter are great.
- Shells (Optional)
- Makeup Brushes
- Lash Glue –Duo Lash Glue works best!
Step 2: Homework time
These are three of our favorite “Mermaid Makeup” Youtube video tutorials. They are both a little bit different but give you some visual aid.
Video 1: Created by RhiannonClaire:
Video 2: Created by Valerie Pac :
Video 2: Created by Melissa Alatorre :
Step 3: Create
- The base is the most important part. Make sure you hydrate your skin & prime before you do anything at all! We recommend using our Essence Moisturizer and the Smash Box Photo Finish Primer. Both of these together will create the perfect glowing base that will last all night!
- Once your foundation is on, it’s time to mertour…mermaid contour…get it? Ok, moving on. The videos above do a fantastic of job showing this, but essentially contour as normal, but with a dark-colored shadow you are using.
- Place your fishnet tights on your head…yes…this is a real sentence. Target has great ones, but make sure they are fairly thick.
- Place the white cream base, like the Nyx Jumbo Pencil – Milk, down over the fishnet tights. Go to min 6:00 of the second video to see this demonstrated. Putting a white cream base down first will create help to create pronounced fish scale lines, and ensure the eye shadow colors are vibrant and stand out!
- Time to put the shadows on! Start with the Matte Shadows first, and then place the shimmers ones on top. Follow the mertour (contour) lines you placed down already! Get creative with this part! Once you have completed this part – you are safe to remove those tights OFF your head.
- Time for Glitter & Sea Shells! If you are using cosmetic glitter, you can safely put it around your eyes. If you are using craft glitter DO NOT put it anywhere near your eyes. Place the glitter around the spots you would normally highlight your face, on your decollete & shoulders..etc. TIP: If you are using craft glitter, use Duo lash glue to adhere it to your skin. The craft glitter will work for shells as well. Both JoAnn’s and Michaels have GREAT options for fun things to glue on your face – here are just a few: Sea Shells, Chunky Glitter.
- Eye shadow & Lips – Don’t forget to complete the look! Add some color to both your eyes & lips. Target has some great inexpensive options for colorful lips colors, in case you don’t intend on ever wearing blue lipstick again.
- Lashes – If you don’t have extensions on already, pop some strip lashes on. If you do have lashes on…don’t you dare.
- Finish with a setting spray to finish the look and elongate the life of the mermaid.
Step 4: Enjoy the Festival!
The festival runs from May 17, 18 & 19th in Seward Alaska! We pulled the schedule off their website just for you, but we will also link their website in the event we didn’t answer all of your questions!
MERMAID FESTIVAL & HARBOR OPENING WEEKEND SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
May 17th, 2019
Mermaid and Pirate Pub Crawl
Early Vendor & Food Truck Openings
If you would like to list host bars and their entertainment it can be found on our Pub Crawl Page of the Mer Fest website.
May 18th, 2019 – Mermaid Festival in South Harbor Parking Lot
Mermaid Festival Vendors 10 am – 6 pm
Sailor’s Swap Meet at Sailing Inc.
Mermaid Stage: 12-12:30 Randy Altermatt 12:45-1:30 Highway 9
1:45-3:15 Blackwater Railroad Co. 3:45-5:15 Queen Solomon
Anderson Windows Stage: 1-1:30 Fiona Rose 1:45-2:15 Just Add Vodka
2:30-3 Alexander Martinez 3:15-3:45 Fiona Rose
4-5 SAKtown Monks
May 17th – 19th, 2019 – City Wide Merchant Crawl
OTHER WEEKEND EVENTS
Major Marine Mermaid Cruise
Step 5: Clean Up
You had to know we would cover the cleanup portion as well. We are business founded on skincare…which means once it’s bedtime the mermaid must end. Don’t forget to wash that face of yours. Make sure you use a face wash & in the event you have lash extensions, lash shampoo. Wash several times, until you no longer see color or glitter. 🙂
If you have lashes on be sure to avoid anything with oil. Sure it will remove your makeup nicely, but it will also remove your lashes nicely as well. Those extensions are an investment, so make sure you take care of them.
Let us know if you find this helpful and tag us in all your mermaid pictures this weekend. We would LOVE to see what you come up with!
Have fun & be safe!!
**** Here are some photos of makeup Holly did for the Seward Mermaid Festival in 2018!